Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Secondhand Stuff

I like to buy things secondhand.  It is one small way of creating less waste, plus it saves our family a lot of money.  There are many ways to shop secondhand- craigslist, Ebay, consignment sales..... I prefer garage sales and thrift stores.  There are great deals to be found everywhere, but you have to know what you are looking for.  The main things I am scouting are children's clothes (including outerwear), and clothes and shoes for me.
I am going to make sharing my finds a regular feature on the blog.  Maybe it will inspire someone else to try thrifting!


These are some of my latest and greatest:




Erin loves this butterfly shirt... especially because it is sparkly!  I bought it at a garage sale for 25 cents.
 I like for my girls to wear nice clothes.  Don't we all?  Expensive clothing seems to wear better, wash better, last longer.  I just don't like to pay a lot! 


Katie's favorite color is green.  I found her this Guess shirt at Goodwill.
Never buy things from Goodwill that you could buy at Walmart or another discount store.  Children's clothes at our Goodwill are $1.99 per item.  You could have bought it new, on sale at Walmart for that price, so don't bother buying it used for that price.  However- a well-made item is a great deal, as long as it is in good shape.
Children's Place purple sweater.  I had a coupon for Goodwill (from the state fair), so this one and Katie's green shirt were only $1 each.
You're not going to score a great find, exactly what you need, or valuable antiques every time you go to a thrift store.  Personally, I think that about 85% of the things in those stores are junk (to me..... maybe a different 85% to the next person).  I shop often- just a quick scan through my favorite areas- but usually I don't buy anything.  It's just a matter of being there at the right time.  Like when I found these:
Naturalizer heels.... size 7 1/2 wide!
I bought these shoes 2 years ago at the Urbandale Goodwill.  They looked brand-new (I really wouldn't recommend buying used shoes unless they look new), and were exactly my size.  The last time I bought a pair of new heels, I paid $20 (on sale of course!) at Payless for real leather, wide widths.  I wore them to a wedding and by the time I walked into the reception I had to take them off they hurt so bad.  These lovely Naturalizers?  I have no idea how much they would have cost new, but I paid $3.59 for them.  Last week I wore them aaaaalllllll day (about 12 hours) and my feet were not sore.  I love them.

Good luck bargain hunting!  Post a comment about any of your great finds.

3 comments:

  1. just testing the @#$%# comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the good will and garage sales. I bought a John Deere riding mower with wagon and dethatcher this past weekend for $280.00. looks like new, runs great. The owner was moving to Arkansas had to sell. I buy a lot at the goodwill and yes, I too stop frequently just to browse the fav areas!! I am looking for a featherweight singer sewing machine, older the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found a couple of Johnston Dragons shirts for my son at Goodwill stores. It was actually at the one in Boone and the one in Marshalltown! He has 3 of them now, all look new. It is so cool to send him to school in Johnston colors and know that the kid next to him is probably wearing a shirt that cost 3 times what I paid. Thanks for the tips Deann. I look forward to reading more of your Blog! Also, where are the $2 pumpkins??

    ReplyDelete